학생 채널

When did you realize (that) you needed to learn English? Teenagers Voices Magazine received English essays from students on the topic "When I realized (that) I needed to learn English." The following essays were chosen as the most interesting ones.

Junsu Kim

2nd Year, Nuri Middle School

I went to Gyeongbokgung three weeks ago with my classmates on a history field trip. Lots of foreign tourists as well as Koreans were there to enjoy the beautiful palace. When we were walking around, a foreigner came up to me and said something in English. I couldn't understand him. I didn't know what to say. But suji, one of my classmates, said to him, "Sure, I'll take your picture." Suji took his picture and the foreigner thanked her for the favor. All my friends admired Suji's great English ability. I was also surprised at her good English. I wish I could speak English well like Suji.

Sora Park

3rd Year, Saehan Middle School

A few years ago, I was watching a TV program with my brother on the dicision of what country will be the host of the 2018 Winter Olympic Games. All the representatives from other countries presented their plans in English. Even the German and French representatives spoke in English, not in their own languages. I was very impressed. I came to realize the importance of English as an international language. I hope to work for an international organization in the future. To achieve my dream, I think (that) I have to study English much harder.

Jimun Yi

3rd Year, Damo Middle School

I traveled with my parents to Spain last summer. We were at the Madrid International Airport waiting for our flight to Barcelona. We heard an announcement,  first in Spanish, then in English. The people (who were) standing around us looked upset at the announcement. We didn't know why they were upset because we had not understood the announcement in either language. We bacame very nervous. Luckily, a Korean woman explained that the announcement was about our flight being delayed because of bad weather. It was then that I realized the importance of learning English.