*충격부대 사단 II, 대대 I, 중대 IV*

*1935년 최전선 근처 어딘가*

가브레이(Gavrey)가 말을 끊고 내 어깨 너머로 바라보면서 대화가 중단되었다. 우리 대회에 귀를 기울이고 있던 다른 사람들도 내 뒤에 있는 무언가를 쳐다보고 있었기 때문에 나는 돌아서게 되었다.

“뭐야 씨발?” 리무스(Remus)가 중얼거렸다. 르아아 군인 한 명을 끌고 가는 것은 병장과 우리 위생병이었다.

“우리가 포로를 잡지 않는걸로 알고있는데.”라고 나는 말했다.

"그렇지 않아. 저건 약한 스탠디하고 역겨운 거네." 가브레이가 손가락으로 소총의 슬링을 당기며 대답했다.

주둔지 주변의 다른 병사들도 르아아족을 주목하고 있었다. "저 새끼 쏴버려!" 그들 중 몇몇은 소리쳤다.

가브레이가 앞으로 나아와 우리 병장을 가로막았다. “병장님, 뭐 하시는 겁니까?” 그는 물었다. "왜 르아아족을 주둔지에 데려오셨습니까?"

폴러(Foller) 병장은 대답하지 않았다. 그는 부상당한 르아아족을 계속해서 의료용 텐트 쪽으로 끌고 갔다. 우리 의무병인 헤인스(Hanes) 상병은 우리를 지나갈 때 자신도 왜 적군을 돕고 있는지 모르겠다는 듯 어깨를 으쓱했다.

우리는 그 둘을 따라 병원 텐트로 갔다. 의료실에는 우리 부상자들이 들것에 누워 있었고, 병장이 적을 끌고 있었다.

밝은 흰색 투구와 앞치마를 입은 텐트 안에 있던 다른 의료진 중 한 명이 폴러 병장을 보고 그에게 쿵쿵 다가왔다. "이이이이보쇼, 이게 대체 무슨 소립니까?" 그는 손을 들고 우리 병장에게 멈추라고 손짓했다.

“얘좀 치료해줘.” 폴러가 의료진에게 명령했다. 의료진이 그의 요청에 눈을 크게 뜨는 동안 병장은 르아아족을 간이 침대 중 하나로 들어 올리기 시작했다.

우리가 할 수 있는 일은 의사가 화를 내는 모습을 지켜보는 것뿐이었다.

"이거 씨발 농담하십니까?" 의료진이 쉭쉭 소리를 질렀다.

"아니." 폴러는 태연하게 말했다.

"우리 부대에 필요한 보급품이나 모르핀도 부족합니다. 씨부럴 르아아족은 커녕!"

폴러는 위생병에게 그의 하급 계급을 상기시켰다. "그 사람을 치료하라, 그것이 명령이다."

“병장님, 제 말을 이해하십니까? 우리에겐 의료용품이 없습니다! 적군을 위해 아무것도 아끼지 않고!”

“처음 들어봤다, 상병. 내 명령에 도전하지 말게. 내가 말한대로 해."

의료진은 마지못해 남은 보급품을 회수하러 갔다가 총상을 입은 르아아족을 치료하기 위해 다시 돌아왔다.

"난 그냥 바로 놈을 쏴버릴 뻔했어." 리무스가 말했다.

"그럼, 병장님은 다른 계획을 갖고 있나보네..." 내가 대답했다.

"내가 본 것 중 가장 진짜 스탠드형 같은 것," 가브레이가 병장의 귀에 중얼거렸다. “이 사람이 우리를 전투로 이끌고 있다는 것을 믿을 수 있나? 다음으로 그가 싸움 중에 르아아족에게 키스하고 바지 입겠지.”

리무스는 "보려면 돈 내고 봐야겠어"라고 낄낄 웃었다.

“전쟁이 아니라 사랑을 해야지. 그가 그걸 다음 단계로 끌어 올리고 있잖아! 틀림없이 르아아에 있는 모든 아쎄이들의 포신을 빨아먹으면 전쟁이 끝날 것이라고 생각했을거야.”

“내 생각엔 니가 열성 동성애자인 것 같다, 가브레이.” 내가 말했다.

"..나는 르아아족 거시기를 아끼고 그에게 모르핀을 낭비하는 사람이 아니야."

폴러 병장이 우리에게 다가왔다. “신사 여러분.” 그가 시작했다. “나는 정보를 얻기 위해 한명의 포로를 잡은거다. 나머지가 어디에 숨겨져 있는지 아는 것은 나쁠 것이 없지. 의료 물자가 없는 상황에서 적의 위치를 파악해 더 이상 사상자가 발생하지 않도록 하는 것이 최선의 선택이 될 것이다.”

병장은 가브레이를 쳐다보았다. “필요한 정보를 수집한 후에는 죄수를 상대로 무엇이든 자유롭게 할 수 있다.”라고 그는 떠나기 전에 말했다.

모두가 서로를 바라보는 침묵의 순간.

“봐, 그 사람한테 계획이 있다고 말했잖아.” 내가 말했다.

가브레이는 비웃었다. 완전히 논리적으로 이해가 되었기 때문에 그는 현명한 반응을 보이지 않았다.

리무스는 여전히 웃고 있었다. "병장이 짜증을 내는 것을 상상할 수 있겠니?"

“아니.” 가브레이와 나는 동시에 말했다.

*Shokktrooper Division II, Battalion I, Company IV*

*Somewhere near the frontline, 1935*

Our conversation was interrupted when Gavrey stopped mid-sentence, looking past over my shoulder. It prompted me to turn around, since the others who were tuning into our talk had also looked over to something behind me.

“What the fuck?” Remus muttered. It was the sergeant and our medic dragging along a Riaan soldier.

“I thought we didn’t take prisoners,” I noted.

“We don’t, that’s weakling standie shit,” Gavrey replied, his fingers tugging the sling of his rifle.

Other soldiers around the camp had taken notice of the Riaan. “Shoot that fucker!” some of them shouted.

Gavrey stepped forward, intercepting our sergeant. “Sir, what are you doing?” he inquired. “Why did you bring a Riaan into camp?”

Sergeant Foller didn’t answer. He continued dragging the Riaan, who we now saw was injured, toward the medical tent. Our medic, Corporal Hanes, shrugged as he passed us, as if he didn’t know why he was helping an enemy soldier either. 

We followed the duo to the hospital tent. The medbay had our own injured lying on stretchers, and here the sergeant was, dragging in the enemy.

One of the other medics in the tent, with his bright white helmet and apron, saw Sergeant Foller and stomped up to him. “Hey, hey, what the fuck is this about?” he held his hand up, gesturing our sergeant to stop.

“Treat him,” Foller ordered the medic. While the medic went wide-eyed at his request, the sergeant began lifting the Riaan onto one of the cots.

All we could do was watch as the doctor became infuriated.

“Is this some fucking joke?” the medic hissed.

“No,” said Foller nonchalantly.

“We don’t even have enough supplies or morphine for our own troops, let alone a fuckin’ Riaan!”

“You’re out of line, Corporal,” Foller reminded the medic of his subordinate rank. “Treat him, that’s an order.”

“Sir, do you understand what I’m saying? We have no medical supplies! We cannot spare any for an enemy soldier!”

“I heard you the first time, Corporal. Do not challenge my orders. Do as I say.”

The medic reluctantly went to retrieve his remaining supplies, then came back to treat the Riaan of his bullet wounds.

“I woulda just shot the bastard right there,” Remus said.

“Well, looks like the sergeant’s got some other plans…” I replied.

“Realest standie shit I’ve ever seen,” Gavrey muttered out of the sergeant’s earshot. “Can you believe this guy leads us into battle? Next thing you know, he’s gonna start kissing the Riaans mid-fight and getting all up in their pants.”

Remus chuckled, “I’d pay to see that.”

“Make love, not war. He’s taking it to the next level! Bet you he thinks the war would end if he sucked the cock of every soldier in Riaa.”

“I think you’re a steaming homosexual, Gavrey,” I commented.

“..I ain’t the one who’s sparing some Riaan dickwad and wasting our morphine on him.”

Sergeant Foller walked up to us. “Gentlemen,” he began. “I’ve taken *one* prisoner for intel. It wouldn’t hurt to know where the rest of them are holed up. Seeing as we have no medical supplies, this would be the best option for us— to know where the enemy is so we don’t take more casualties.”

The sergeant eyed Gavrey. “After we gather the intel we need, you are free to do whatever with the prisoner,” he said before walking away.

A moment of silence as all of us stared at each other.

“See, told you he’s got a plan,” I remarked.

Gavrey scoffed. He had no smartass response because it made complete logical sense.

Remus was still grinning. “Can you imagine the sergeant suckin—”

“No,” Gavrey and I both said at the same time.

똑똑한 친구네. 그나저나 가브레이 말하는 거 ㅅㅂ ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ