1922年 오리온 공화국 제미나 지구 오리에 항구

(Port Orie, Gemina District, Orion Republic)

“좀 쉬셔야 해요.” 렌 형사(Wren)가 출입구에 서서 말했다. "당신 눈은 모두 빨개요. 이틀 연속으로 잠에서 깨어나지 못하신 것 같아요."

"그건 내가 씨발 가지고 있기 때문이야!" 참마 형사(Chamma)가 투덜댔다.

렌은 출입구에서 그의 동료를 지켜보며 그가 하룻밤을 머물면서 도와야 할지, 아니면 집에 가야 할지 고민했다. 11시 30분이었고 경찰서는 밤에 문을 닫았다.

“집에 가서 눈을 좀 감아야 할 것 같아요.” 그가 말했다. "편한 마음 없이는 아무데도 갈 수 없어-"

"아니, 아니! 난 이 좆같은 젬스(Gems)들이 자고 있지 않다는 사실을 안다! 악마는 잠들지 않지! 그들을 잡기 전에는 쉴 수가 없어.” 참마가 소리쳤다. "약삭빠른 씨발것들!" 그는 펜을 책상에 꽂고 직선 필기구를 반으로 꺾었다. 그는 부러진 펜을 쓰레기통에 버리고 양손으로 얼굴을 가렸다.

“보세요, 당신은 이것에 대해 너무 걱정하고 있어요. 그들이 또 다른 공격을 하기까지는 아마도 한 달이 더 걸리겠죠. 이제 사흘밖에 안 됐는데 뭐, 이제 3주 반 남았을까요?” 렌은 추리하려고 노력했다.

“3일 동안 씨부럴 아무 진전도 없었어.” 참마는 여전히 손으로 얼굴을 가리고 비웃었다. 그는 팔을 내리며 렌을 노려보았다. “왜 한 달이 걸리는지 아냐? 왜냐면 걔네는 우릴 좆먹일 수 있는 가장 좋은 방법을 생각하고 있기 때문이지! 반젬스(Antigems)는 개씨발 아무 짓도 안 해! 왜 그들은 조사 작업을 수행하고 우리를 도울 수 없을까?”

“왜냐면 그 사람들은 우리 같은 형사가 아니기 때문이죠. 그들이 반젬스고 우리가 탐정인 데에는 이유가 있어요.”

차마는 한숨을 쉬며 눈을 비볐다. 그는 의자에 등을 기대고 천장을 바라보며 심호흡을 했다. “렌, 제발 썅 좀 꺼져서 날 내버려둬. 넌 내 시간을 낭비하고 있어.”

“죄송해요. 시간을 낭비한 게 저인가요? 당신은 당신 말 대로 아무것도 하지 않고 여기에 숨어 있고, 사모님이 제 유선 전화에 전화하여 당신에 대해 물어볼 정도로 사모님을 걱정했어요!”

“아멜리아(Amelia)가 전화했다고?” 참마가 목소리를 낮추며 물었다. 그는 다시 손으로 얼굴을 가렸다.

"네. 그 분을 잊으셨나요?”

참마는 의자에서 일어나 외투를 집어들기 전 몇 초간 침묵을 지켰다. 그는 문간으로 터벅터벅 걸어갔고, 렌은 그를 통과시키기 위해 옆으로 비켜섰다. "나 존나 피곤해." 참마가 말했다.

“아마 그럴 것 같아요.”

“나 내일 아침에 경찰서 안 오면 전화하지 마. 나 출근 안 해.”

"괜찮아요. 하루 쉬시고, 서장님께 몸 아프다시고 말씀드릴게요.”

"그분은 그거때문에 행복하시지 않을 거야."

“어쨌든 노력해 볼게요.”

두 사람은 경찰서를 나와 조용한 거리로 걸어갔다. 폭격 이후 통금 시간이 시행되었고, 밤에는 반젬스가 텅 빈 거리를 순찰했다.

“제가 운전해 드릴까요?” 렌이 물었다.

참마는 하품을 했다. 그는 대답하지 않고 대신 집까지 걸어가기 시작했다.

원문

Port Orie, Geminai District, Orion Republic

“You need to get some rest,” Detective Wren said as he stood in the doorway. “Your eyes are all red — you look like you’ve been up for two days straight.”

“That’s because I fucking have!” Detective Chamma grumbled.

Wren watched his partner from the doorway, contemplating whether he should stay overnight to help, or go home. It was half past eleven, and the station was closing down for the night.

“I think you should go home and get some shut eye,” he said. “You’re not going to get anywhere without a well-rested mind-”

“No, no, no! I know for a fact these fucking Gems aren’t sleeping! The devil never sleeps! I cannot rest before we catch them,” Chamma ranted. “Slippery fucks!” He jammed his pen into the desk, snapping the straight writing utensil in half. Taking a look at his now-broken pen, he threw it into the trash bin and covered his face with both of his hands.

“Look, you’re worrying too much about this. It’ll probably be another month before they make another attack. It’s only been three days, so what, you’ve got three-and-a-half weeks left?” Wren tried to reason.

“Three days and I’ve made no fucking progress,” Chamma scoffed, his face still covered by his hands. He brought his arms down and glared at Wren. “You know why they take a month? Because they’re thinking of the best way to fuck us over! The antigems don’t ever fuckin’ do anything! Why can’t they do some investigative work and help us out, huh?”

“Because they’re not detectives like us. There’s a reason why they’re antigems and we’re detectives.”

Chamma sighed and rubbed his eyes. He took a deep breath as he leaned back in his chair, staring at the ceiling. “Wren, please just get the fuck out and leave me alone. You are wasting my time.”

“I’m sorry, I’m the one wasting your time? You’ve been holed up in here getting nothing done like you said, and you’ve worried your wife enough to the point she’s called my landline to ask about you!”

“Amelia called you?” Chamma asked, his voice lowering. He covered his face with his hands again.

“Yeah. Did you forget about her?”

Chamma stayed silent for a few seconds before standing up from his chair and grabbing his coat. He trudged toward the doorway, and Wren stepped aside to let him through. “I’m fucking tired,” Chamma said.

“I’d bet you are.”

“If I don’t come to the station tomorrow morning, don’t call me. I’m not clocking in.”

“It’s fine. Take a day off, I’ll tell the chief you’re sick with something.”

“He’s not gonna be happy about that.”

“I’ll try anyways.”

The pair walked out of the station into a quiet street; a curfew had been enforced after the bombing, and antigems patrolled the empty streets at night.

“Do you need me to drive you?” Wren asked.

Chamma yawned. He did not reply and instead began to walk all the way home.

혹시 여기서 “That’s because I fucking have!”가 무슨 뜻인지 아는 분? have 뒤에 목적어가 없네.

여기서 젬스(Gems)는 제미나 지구(Gemina District)에서 활개치는 반정부 범죄조직인데 제미나 지구의 독립을 원하는 조직임. 여기가 원래 제미니 왕국(Gemini Kingdom)이 있던 곳인데 오리온 공화국이 오리온 왕국(Orion Kingdom)이던 시절에 오리온 왕국에게 침공받았다가 격퇴시킨 이후 험악한 적대관계를 유지했으나 1823年에 제미니 왕국이 큰 혼란에 빠지면서 오리온 왕국과 조약을 체결해 합병됐음.

이건 오리온 공화국 행정구역.