I have read the full complaint against Activision Blizzard and many of the other stories. It is all very disturbing and difficult to read. I am ashamed. It feels like everything I thought I stood for has been washed away. What’s worse but even more important, real people have been harmed, and some women had terrible experiences.

I was at Blizzard for 28 years. During that time, I tried very hard to create an environment that was safe and welcoming for people of all genders and backgrounds. I knew that it was not perfect, but clearly we were far from that goal. The fact that so many women were mistreated and were not supported means we let them down. In addition, we did not succeed in making it feel safe for people to tell their truth. It is no consolation that other companies have faced similar challenges. I wanted us to be different, better.

Harassment and discrimination exist. They are prevalent in our industry. It is the responsibility of leadership to keep all employees feeling safe, supported, and treated equitably, regardless of gender and background. It is the responsibility of leadership to stamp out toxicity and harassment in any form, across all levels of the company. To the Blizzard women who experienced any of these things, I am extremely sorry that I failed you.

I realize that these are just words, but I wanted to acknowledge the women who had awful experiences. I hear you, I believe you, and I am so sorry to have let you down. I want to hear your stories, if you are willing to share them. As a leader in our industry, I can and will use my influence to help drive positive change and to combat misogyny, discrimination, and harassment wherever I can. I believe we can do better, and I believe the gaming industry can be a place where women and minorities are welcomed, included, supported, recognized, rewarded, and ultimately unimpeded from the opportunity to make the types of contributions that all of us join this industry to make. I want the mark I leave on this industry to be something that we can all be proud of.

-Mike

캘리포니아 주로부터 다수의 성희롱 건으로 고소를 받은 블리자드. 기소의 대부분은 2020년까지 현직이었던 원년 멤버 아프라샤비가 고개를 내밀고 있는데 이 아프라샤비의 성희롱을 포함한 횡포가 심각하여 참다 못해 블리자드 전 CEO 마이크 모하임이 재직하고 있던 상층부에 호소하였지만 어째서인지 아프라샤비에 대한 처벌과 대책은 나오지 않았음. 이 일이 현재 캘리포니아 주에게 고소를 받고 기사화되고 나서야 마이크 모하임은 그러한 일이 일어나고 있었을 거라곤 상상치도 못했다면서 이런 일을 미처 막지 못한 자신의 잘못이라고 자신의 입장을 표명함. 더불어 역시 블리자드를 퇴사한지 오래인 크리스 멧젠 또한 변명할 말이 없다는 코멘트를 남겼음.

문제는 마이크 모하임의 입장 표명이 나온지 얼마 지나지 않아 마이크 모하임이란 이름만 정확이 안 꺼냈을 뿐 역시 블리자드 전 직원이었던 조쉬 앨런이 저격했다는 것.

조쉬 앨런은 앞서 말한 것처럼 아프라샤비의 만행은 여러 번 제보되었을 터인데 최고 책임자였던 마이크 모하임이 이를 몰랐을 리가 전무하며 마이크 모하임을 단지 이를 수수방관하고 있었다고 반박하였음.

또한 많은 사람들이 생각하는 것과는 달리 블리자드가 오로지 후임자들 때문에 3년 만에 이 꼬라지가 난 것은 아니라고 언급.

여지껏 사람들이 모르고 있던 마이크 모하임 CEO 재직 시절의 민낯의 단면이 보여지고 있는 듯.