주말의 잉여로운 시간을 때우며 나무위키를 보던 도중 눈에 띄는 것이 있었다.

나무위키에서 풀메탈재킷 영화의 설명을 보면 이런 부분이 있다.

대충 맛이 가서 m14의 제원을 줄줄 왼다는 내용이다.

하지만 나는 m14의 제원을 외운 게 기억나지 않아서 한번 대사집을 긁어와봤다.

JOKER

Are those ... live rounds?

PYLE

Seven-six-two millimeter, full metal jacket.

PYLE smiles grotesquely.

JOKER

Leonard .. . if Hartman comes in here and catches us, we'll both be in a world of shit.

PYLE

I am .. . in a world . . . of shit!

PYLE gets to his feet, snaps his rifle to port arms, and starts executing the Manual of Arms.

PYLE

(shouting) Left shoulder ... hut! Right shoulder ...hut! Lock and load! Order ... hut!

PYLE picks up the loaded magazine, inserts it into the rifle and smartly brings the rifle down to the order arms position.

PYLE

(shouting) This is my rifle! There are many like it, but this one is mine.

49 INT. BARRACKS

HALLWAY--NIGHT

By now the platoon is awake.

HARTMAN bursts from his room, wearing his skivvies and D.I. hat.

PYLE

(offscreen) My rifle is my best friend! It is my life!

HARTMAN

Get back in your bunks!

PYLE

(o.s.)

I must master it as I must master my life! Without me ...

50 INT.

LATRINES--NIGHT

HARTMAN Storms into the latrine.

HARTMAN

What is this Mickey Mouse shit? What in the name of Jesus H. Christ are you animals doing in my head?

(to JOKER)

Why is Private Pyle out of his bunk after lights out?! Why is Private Pyle holding that weapon? Why aren't you stomping Private Pyle's guts out?

JOKER

Sir, it is the private's duty to inform the

Senior Drill Instructor that Private Pyie has a full magazine and has locked and loaded, sir!

HARTMAN and PYLE look at each other. PYLE smiles from the depths of his own hell.

HARTMAN focuses all of his considerable powers of intimidation, into his best John-Wayne-on-Suribachi voice.

HARTMAN

Now you listen to me, Private Pyle, and, you listen good. I want that weapon, and I want it now! You will place that rifle on the deck at your feet and step back away from it.

With a twisted smile on his face PYLE points his rifle at HARTMAN.

HARTMAN look suddenly calm. His eyes, his manner are those of a wanderer who has found his home.

HARTMAN

What is your major malfunction, numbnuts?!! Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child?!!!

BANG!

여기까지가 맛가서 교관을 쏴죽이는 장면이다.

파일의 대사는 크게 파란 부분과 빨간 부분으로 나뉜다.

1) 파란 부분은 m14의 제원인가?

아마 여기서 제일 제원스러워 보이는 부분은 "762 milimeter, full metal jacket"이라고 하는 부분일 것이다. 하지만 이는 m14의 제원이 아니라 7.62 nato탄의 제원이다.

이 대사는 조커가 "(지금 삽탄하고 있는 그건) 실탄이냐" (Are those live rounds)라고 한 데 대한 대답으로, 결국 총알의 제원을 읊어줌으로써 삽탄 중인게 공포탄이 아니라 실탄임을 알려주는 것에 더 가깝다.

2) 빨간 부분은 m14의 제원인가?

사실 여기엔 제원이랄게 전혀 보이지 않지만, 굳이 저 대사가 무엇인지를 알아보자면 미군의 Rifleman's Creed이다.

결론

풀메탈재킷의 정신붕괴 장면에서는 m14의 제원을 줄줄 외지 않는다.

하지만 진성 솦붕이인 챈럼이라면 우덜 앰씹새를 사서 제원을 외워보는 것이 어떨까?